How many hours do you spend sitting a day?
Have you ever thought about how much you or your people sit during a day? Often, we can spend up to 30-60 minutes sitting a car to get to and from work. Then we sit for a good 6-8 hours at work. That could be a total of up to 10 hours a day sitting. But wait there is more. Then we get home, or we take the kids to their sport and we sit and watch and then to relax, we watch TV when we get home after a long day.
I make this point to bring to your attention the fact that you may not be moving your body enough and that there are ways we can break the cycle. There are solutions, we just have to learn to do a few things differently throughout a day.
Incidental exercise is SUPER important. You may go to the gym for 30-45 minutes a day and that is great and I’m totally proud of you. We just need to get in a few more steps or movement during the day to break up the 10-15 hours of sitting or inactivity we do in a day.
So, what can you do:
- Invest in a stand-up desk at work
- Have walking meetings
- When you talk on your phone, walk around. They are mobile phones.
- Every hour step away from your desk for 5-10 minutes. Get some fresh air, do some lunges, squats or anything that gets the blood pumping.
- Walk the stairs at work.
- Park further away from work and walk. Same at the supermarket, shopping etc
- When watching TV, stretch on the floor. During the ads, do some form of exercise during a programme.
If you have more ideas or something that works for you or your business, please share in the comments below. We would love to hear about your movement moments.